Saturday, May 12, 2018

Out of Left Field by Kris Hui Lee


There’s no playing it safe in love or baseball in this sparkling debut, perfect for fans of Morgan Matson and Kasie West.

Marnie has never had a hard time fitting in with the guys. It would take a lot more than their goofy antics to keep her from joining them at the neighborhood sandlot to do what she loves best: play ball.

An added perk of hanging out at the sandlot? Spending time with Cody Kinski, their high school’s star pitcher and Marnie’s best friend. Sure, he can be stubborn and annoying. He also knows how to make her laugh and respects her skills on the mound. And when he gets nailed in the arm by a bone-fracturing pitch, Marnie becomes the team’s best chance at making it to the playoffs. Except no one told the guys they’re supposed to be on her side.

With her own team against her, Marnie begins questioning her abilities. And when fate throws her a curveball, can she play without losing the game, Cody, and her belief in herself?

Add to Goodreads –



Buy Links

Amazon US  ~  Amazon UK  ~  Amazon Au  ~  Amazon Ca
B&N  ~  Google Play  ~  Kobo



Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Veronica☆☆☆☆
When I started reading Out of Left Field, I wasn’t in the mood to read. I had other things I needed to get done. So, when I sat down to read I told myself I had to read at least 10% of the book in the first session. I was a third of the way through the book when I stopped reading the first time and I read the whole thing in 24 hours.

I was immediately drawn into Marnie’s world. She is feisty, quick witted, intelligent, a good friend, and a lover of baseball. Marnie’s life revolves around her friends Sara, Joey, and Cody (who is also the love interest). When Cody, the star pitcher for the high school baseball team, is injured, Marnie tries out for the team to replace him.

As a sports fan I often find sports romances don’t actually feature much of the actual sport. But in Out of Left Field, baseball is one of the key features of the story. I could feel the love Marnie has for the sport and I got caught up in the fun of the game, the camaraderie of being part of a team, and the highs and lows of playing a team sport.

This is also a young adult book full of teenage drama, but it never felt heavy or over the top. The ‘will they or won’t they’ between Marnie and Cody is well done. I loved the relationship between Marnie and Cody and watching her realise that Cody wants to be more than friends and her struggle with her feelings for him.

The author did a great job writing characters and issues that were age appropriate and because the story has no sex or drug use, I would recommend it for readers 13+. Out of Left Field is a really well written, fun, young adult romance and I had a great time reading it.



KRIS HUI LEE is a contemporary YA author who also doubles as a graphic designer. When not writing or designing, she can be found cuddling with a dog on the floor.

Connect with Kris

Facebook  ~  Twitter  ~  Tumblr  ~  Website  ~  Goodreads


https://www.firereads.com


Reviewers on the Wicked Reads Review Team were provided a free copy of Out of Left Field by Kris Hui Lee to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment